Saturday, May 2, 2020

A Personal History of Oscar Watching: 2013

George Clooney, Grant Heslov, and Ben Affleck celebrate their Best Picture win for Argo at the 2013 Academy Awards ceremony.


The 85th Academy Awards

Ceremony date: February 24, 2013
Best Picture: Argo
Best Director: Ang Lee for Life of Pi
Best Actor: Daniel Day-Lewis for Lincoln
Best Actress: Jennifer Lawrence for Silver Linings Playbook

Jen and I had been together less than a month when the 85th Academy Awards came around. In 2020, we celebrated our eighth Oscars ceremony together and second as a married couple. Understandably, less than a month into the relationship, she did not quite grasp the importance of the ceremony to me. What sane person could?

We met at the newspaper. She was an education and business reporter, and I was on the copy desk. Watching the ceremony at my dad’s house would be the first time she met my family, but of course, in my Oscars-addled mind, asking her to share the Oscars with me was the bigger deal. She agreed and we chose to make a weekend of it.

We drove down to San Francisco in the afternoon and met some people for a late lunch. That late lunch kept getting pushed back and back and back until it was certain we would not make to my dad’s in time for the show. She did not seem concerned. I wanted to seem cool, an act that did not include being overly concerned about the Academy Awards. Inside, I was counting the minutes.

I asked my dad’s wife to DVR the ceremony so we could watch it from the beginning. By the time we arrived at my dad’s house in Tracy, we were about 45 minutes late for the ceremony – the first and last time I would be late for my Oscars viewing appointment. The DVR had kicked in just late enough to miss the opening monologue. I would learn later that this was probably a lucky break.

Seth MacFarlane, of Family Guy fame, was the host that year. An odd choice by any measure, MacFarlane apparently opened the show with a song about how he had seen the boobs of many of the nominated actresses. The song was called, “We Saw Your Boobs.”

Years later, when the Harvey Weinstein scandal broke, people would point to a joke about Weinstein made by MacFarlane during this ceremony as proof that the industry knew. MacFarlane essentially confirmed this by saying the joke was inspired by an actress friend of his who had had a run-in with the disgraced producer. MacFarlane was celebrated in some corners for having the courage to call out Weinstein from Hollywood’s biggest stage. All I am saying is: Let’s not give the “We Saw Your Boobs” guy too much credit.

I have never bothered to go back and watch that opening monologue, which just does not seem like something I need in my life. The rest of MacFarlane’s hosting gig felt fairly paint-by-numbers as these things go. Perhaps a tad more off-color than usual, but nothing Chris Rock had not tried nearly a decade before.

My dad and his wife, not Oscars watchers, went upstairs and left Jen and I downstairs to enjoy the show on our own. They had kindly made us dinner, and we brought a bottle of wine. The dog hung out downstairs with us. I forget at what point I knocked over an entire glass of red wine on the beige couch. That was the day I learned the miracle of Scotchgard. No damage to the couch at all. This is not an ad, but seriously, that stuff works.

If it seems I am spending an unusual amount of time talking about everything but the awards, it is because this ceremony felt more rote than most. Ben Affleck’s Argo was the frontrunner, and his snub for Best Director made a Best Picture triumph all but inevitable. I felt good for the film’s producer Grant Heslov, who shared the top prize with best friend George Clooney, as well as Affleck. You might recognize him from supporting roles in True Lies and The Scorpion King. I know him from Dante’s Peak.

Apart from Argo, Life of Pi was the dominant force of the evening. Ang Lee won Best Director for the second time in his career – and for the second time watched another movie win Best Picture. You may recognize this bit of trivia from a Final Jeopardy question during Jeopardy’s “Greatest of All Time” tournament a couple months ago.

Daniel Day-Lewis won his third Best Actor Oscar for his Abraham Lincoln impression in Steven Spielberg’s historical drama. Jennifer Lawrence won Best Actress for Silver Linings Playbook. Christoph Waltz won his second Supporting Actor trophy for Django Unchained. And, Anne Hathaway joined Jennifer Hudson on the list of Supporting Actress winners who won for performing a single song quite well. All of these were foregone conclusions – there was some intrigue with Tommy Lee Jones in Supporting Actor, but that fizzled – and none was particularly inspired.

The DVR cut out in the middle of Day-Lewis’ acceptance speech. I did not get to see Best Picture announced live, which is a shame because I can only imagine what it felt like not to know Michelle Obama was going to show up. People criticized the moment as too political for the Oscars. I respectfully disagree. Unlike MacFarlane’s opening monologue, I did go back and watch Best Picture. I have seen it a number of times and was reminded of it recently while reading a biography of Jack Nicholson. A lovely moment when the highest office in the land celebrated the arts. Remember those days?

Quick notes: A lot of people think Roma’s Academy Awards run paved the way for Parasite to go all the way in 2020. I am of the opinion the Parasite road to victory begins here with Michael Haneke’s superlative Amour. The French-language, French-German-Austrian coproduction was nominated for Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actress, Best Original Screenplay, and Best Foreign Language Film. It won only Foreign Language, but it proved that in the new, expanded Best Picture lineup, Academy members were ready and willing to look outside the U.S. for the best in cinema.

___
Next time: We move to New York, and the Academy honors, for my money, the single greatest Best Picture winner of all time.

No comments: