Sunday, May 3, 2020

A Personal History of Oscar Watching: 2014

Lupita Nyong'o accepts the Oscar for Best Supporting Actress at the 2014 Academy Awards ceremony.


The 86th Academy Awards

Ceremony date: March 2, 2014
Best Picture: 12 Years a Slave
Best Director: Alfonso Cuarón for Gravity
Best Actor: Matthew McConaughey for Dallas Buyer’s Club
Best Actress: Cate Blanchett for Blue Jasmine

We moved to New York City on January 28, 2014. By the time of the 86th Academy Awards, I was still without a job and we were without a permanent residence. We were staying in a sublet in Harlem around 135th Street. We watched the ceremony from a dingy hotel in Midtown Manhattan with one of those windows that looks out onto a brick wall. The wallpaper was ancient, the lightning was drab, and like much of the city, it was almost charming in its antiquity.

I have mentioned in this series how I tend to make major life changes just before the Oscars. Leaving my job, my friends, my family, my home, and everything else back in California to move clear across the country certainly qualifies. I have changed jobs, changed states, and added life partners, but the cardinal rule of my life never changes: I don’t miss the Oscars.

So, here we were, settled into our hotel. We ordered in Italian, which in New York City is basically always good. If you ever find yourself out east and need recommendations, I have many of them. Just ask. Tell ‘em Anthony sent you. They won’t know me, but the look of confusion should be worth the price of admission.

The last time I had watched the ceremony from a hotel room was 2007, when Ellen DeGeneres hosted. Now, seven years later, sitting in a hotel room on the other side of the country, there was Ellen hosting again. I always like her as a host. You know it will not be edgy, but it will be fun. I dislike when the host attacks the audience. It is a big night for everyone. Let’s just have some fun.

The talk-show world in the past decade has really handed itself over to wacky stunts and a desire to go viral. Ellen brought that energy to the ceremony this year when she ordered pizza for the audience and got out among the crowd to take the selfie shared ‘round the world. If you ever doubt the power or popularity of the Oscars or someone suggests the awards mean nothing to real people, remember that the selfie of Ellen, Lupita Nyong’o, Brad Pitt, Meryl Streep, et al, literally broke Twitter. It shut the website down briefly. The photo was shared by 3.4 million people. That’s power. That’s influence. That’s the Oscars.

As for the awards, it was Gravity vs. 12 Years a Slave. Alfonso Cuarón’s technically accomplished but, forgive the pun, airless space epic was probably the slight favorite heading into the night. That said, Steve McQueen’s Solomon Northup biopic had tied Gravity for the Producers Guild award and won the BAFTA for best film. So, it was neck and neck.

All night, Gravity just kept racking up awards, seven in all, including Best Director. Before the final envelope was opened, the tally was 7-2, with 12 Years a Slave having won Best Adapted Screenplay and Best Supporting Actress for Nyong’o (which we will talk about in a second). Then, Will Smith opened the envelope and announced 12 Years a Slave. I was ecstatic. I jumped out of my seat. McQueen was ecstatic, as well, and jumped for joy on the Oscars stage. His speech was beautiful, bold, and brilliant. It was as exultant as I have ever been watching the ceremony.

Back in January, I called 12 Years a Slave the best movie of the decade. Beyond that, I think it is one of the best films of all time, a modern masterpiece, and the greatest Best Picture winner ever. I am aware of the company that puts it ahead of: Casablanca, The Godfather and The Godfather Part II, Schindler’s List, Sunrise, Annie Hall, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Midnight Cowboy. All great. All pantheon films. So is 12 Years a Slave.

I initially conceived this series of Oscars-watching remembrances after the joy I felt seeing Parasite win Best Picture. That made me think about the other moments watching this ceremony over the years that gave me equal joy. The series has drifted from that original thesis, but the desire to reflect on those joyous moments remains, and when I think about Oscars-watching joy, this is the year that comes to mind.

The Best Picture win for 12 Years a Slave is probably my second-favorite Oscars moment ever. It was an instance of the Academy just getting it exactly right. My favorite all-time Academy Awards moment, however, came a little less than two hours earlier on the same night, when Christoph Waltz announced Lupita Nyong’o as the Best Supporting Actress.

Nyong’o was definitely the frontrunner, having won the Screen Actors Guild award, but she lost the BAFTA and the Golden Globe to reigning Best Actress Jennifer Lawrence. So, I had a terrible feeling in the pit of my stomach that the Academy might pass up one of the great screen performances of the decade for subpar work in a mediocre movie. Thankfully, that did not happen.

Then, to top it off, Nyong’o got on stage and gave one of the great speeches in Academy history. I know I am using a lot of superlatives to describe this night, but if any film and performance have earned them, this film and this performance have. I have watched Nyong’o’s gracious, heartfelt speech 20 times, and I will likely watch it 20 more and then some. It never fails to bring a tear to my eye. If you have not seen it recently, go back and watch it. The actress displays the kind of humility and awareness of the moment to which we should all aspire.

My life was in disarray. Savings were dwindling. Our sublet would be up in four weeks. Jen was working hard, but it could not continue like that forever. The future was as uncertain as it has ever been. I needed this night. I needed these winners. For whatever else Hollywood does, it provides us an escape – something we are all reflecting on amid the pandemic. At that moment in time and that place in my life, I needed Ellen DeGeneres taking a selfie, Lupita Nyong’o thanking the Academy, and Steve McQueen jumping for joy. And, there they were, right when I needed them.

Quick notes: The dual wins for Dallas Buyers Club in the Actor and Supporting Actor categories still bums me out. Matthew McConaughey and Jared Leto were good in an underwhelming film, but better work was passed over. … If you have never seen Best Live Action Short winner Helium, seek it out. It is truly lovely. … This ceremony also featured a random 75th anniversary tribute to The Wizard of Oz. Again, these are the things we need to cut if we want a shorter show. Someone, take notes.

___
Next time: I have a job in an office, and in that office, I will watch Birdman triumph.

No comments: