Thursday, April 23, 2020

A Personal History of Oscar Watching: 2005

Jim Taylor and Alexander Payne win the Oscar for Best Adapted Screenplay at the 2005 Academy Awards ceremony.


The 77th Academy Awards

Ceremony date: February 27, 2005
Best Picture: Million Dollar Baby
Best Director: Clint Eastwood for Million Dollar Baby
Best Actor: Jamie Foxx for Ray
Best Actress: Hilary Swank for Million Dollar Baby

This was the last year I did not see the Best Picture nominees before the ceremony. There is a story behind that decision, but let’s save that for the next piece. Truth told, the only nominee I had seen prior to the ceremony was Sideways, which I loved. I love it to this day. It is one of my 20 favorite movies ever, and if you want to get really nerdy, the commentary track on the DVD – featuring Paul Giamatti and Thomas Haden Church – is one of the best commentaries out there.

This was also the last year I did not have my finger on the pulse of the awards race. I was completely out of the loop, in fact. My memory from this year was that The Aviator was winning everything as the show kept going. It won several below-the-line awards, as well as Best Supporting Actress for Cate Blanchett. In total, it won five of the 11 awards for which it was nominated. To my untrained Oscar-watching eye, it looked like Martin Scorsese’s Howard Hughes epic was going to win Best Picture. Obviously, that did not happen.

Instead, a movie I had barely heard of won the top three awards of the night: Picture, Director, and Actress. Million Dollar Baby was in my consciousness only because its dark, powerful ending had proved moderately controversial. I remember Roger Ebert, already my favorite critic even then, going on CNN to talk about the ending. There was certainly a cultural moment around it. I just did not realize that moment came with Academy cache. It did, and the 74-year-old Clint Eastwood was the belle of the ball.

Apart from enjoying Sideways, I did not really have a dog in the fight. I had enjoyed Mystic River from the year before, so I was happy enough to see Eastwood win the award. This, of course, was prior to any empty chair nonsense, though I must admit I still admire many of the films he makes, up to and including last year’s Richard Jewell. It does seem Eastwood’s misfires are becoming more frequent than his successes, though.

I was vaguely aware some people were disappointed Jim Carrey was not nominated for Best Actor for Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, a film that missed me completely at the time but of which I was aware. Aware enough, in fact, that I remember being pleased for the writing team of Michel Gondry, Charlie Kaufman, and Pierre Bismuth, two of whom would go on to make some of my favorite films of the ensuing years, winning Original Screenplay.

Eternal Sunshine might be Gondry’s best, though I have a soft spot in my heart for The Science of Sleep, but this is Kaufman mid-ascent. Kaufman’s best remains Synecdoche, NY, and Anomalisa probably surpasses Eternal Sunshine, as well.

In the Adapted Screenplay category, I was happy for Alexander Payne and Jim Taylor winning for their still-perfect Sideways script. If you want a quick lesson in adaptation, check out the scene of Giamatti and Virginia Madsen on the porch. His speech is from the book. Hers is not. It is seamless, and Payne and Taylor’s thorough understanding of their characters makes it so. Like I said, one of my favorites.

I was a fan of Documentary Feature nominee Super Size Me, a film which only grows more problematic by the day. Another good commentary track, but you have to get past Morgan Spurlock as a #MeToo symbol and the Subway sandwiches pedophile Jared Vogel. Add to that the shaky science and generally unrepeatable nature of the experiment, and well … Anyway, Born into Brothels won the award, which is probably for the best, considering everything.

Beyond that, my reminiscences of this year are few since I had little awareness of the movies in the race. That will not be the case moving forward. My Oscar night plans will also get a little more elaborate as we move through the years, so stick around if you like hearing nerdy memories of making people hang out with you while you watch an awards show.

Quick notes: I have gone back and watched most of the major contenders from 2004. Sideways is still my favorite, but The Aviator probably ought to have won Best Picture. Oh well, we’ll get to Marty soon. … I did see Best Animated Feature winner The Incredibles in theaters. I liked it a lot. … Kate Winslet and Leonardo DiCaprio both losers this year. That will happen again in 2006. She will finally break through in 2008. He had to wait a little longer.

___
Next time: My first Oscars party! Oh, yeah, and a little movie called Crash shocks the world.

No comments: