Friday, April 24, 2020

A Personal History of Oscar Watching: 2006

The Cinedome 7 West in Newark, Calif. It always looked like that.


The 78th Academy Awards

Ceremony date: March 5, 2006
Best Picture: Crash
Best Director: Ang Lee for Brokeback Mountain
Best Actor: Phillip Seymour Hoffman for Capote
Best Actress: Reese Witherspoon for Walk the Line

This one might go on a little long, and not just because it featured possibly the most notorious ending of any Oscars telecast not involving an envelope snafu. Rather, my memories of much of this show are quite vivid as it was the first ceremony for which I had seen all the Best Picture nominees beforehand and the first broadcast for which I attended a party, thus cementing the Academy Awards as an annual tradition in my life.

So, let’s get it out of the way right at the top: I have no problem with Crash as a Best Picture winner. I was thrilled at the time – though shocked like everyone else – and I remain completely at peace with that choice. It is probably my least popular Oscars opinion that Crash is a worthy recipient of the top prize and is a better film than Brokeback Mountain, which I find overdirected and dull, despite some stellar performances. Ranking the Best Picture nominees, I have Crash second behind Capote and followed by Good Night and Good Luck, Brokeback, and Munich.

This brings me to the second point: my conscious decision to see all of the nominees. This was my senior year of high school, and as a teenager is wont to do, I was spouting opinions with little to nothing to back them up. This time, it was about the Oscars. A friend rightly called me out, saying that I really could not have a valid opinion without having seen the films. So, rather than shut up about it, which was probably the point of the chastisement in the first place, I decided to see them all.


Crash famously came out early in the year, and I had seen it on DVD with my dad. It belongs in the pantheon of Best Picture winners my dad and I can enjoyably watch together, a group that also includes Forrest Gump, Rain Man, Platoon, and Rocky. The other one is The Departed, which we will talk about next time. I remember liking Crash, enjoying its interconnected story structure, and overall appreciating the message, which most would call facile today but which hits the targets at which it aims. One down.

When Brokeback Mountain was in theaters, I was 17 and had a car and a permit, but I was not really driving anywhere. I still walked to school, and to go to the movies after class, I hopped on the bus. On the way back, I hopped on the wrong bus and ended up in a different city entirely. I then had to take a train back to my neighboring hometown. I had one of those old Nokia flip phones and pretty much only used it to call for rides home. My dad kindly obliged. Two down.

Next, two birds with one stone on a weekend. I saw advertised in the paper – yeah, we still got movie times in the paper then, at least at my house – that the Cinedome 7 was doing a double feature of Capote and Good Night and Good Luck. What luck! I had never been to a double feature before and was excited at the prospect. My dad dropped me off on a rainy Saturday afternoon, and I told him to come back to get me in about five hours.

Nervously, I approached the ticket counter and asked for the double feature ticket. The box office attendant did not seem to know what I was talking about and gave me one ticket for Good Night and Good Luck. After the film, I asked an usher what to do about the double feature and was told just to hang out and the second movie would start. Even though the double feature had been advertised, because both films were not on the ticket, it somehow still felt like stealing. Nevertheless, I caught the second film and wrote Capote on the back of the ticket in pen for record-keeping purposes. Four out of five.

The next weekend, the same theater was hosting the two-for-one bill of Munich and Syriana. This time, I told my dad to come back in six hours. Now, I was a pro at the whole double-feature thing and calmly passed the 15-minute break between movies by listening to my MP3 player, which held an impressive 32 songs (depending on the length of the songs, of course).

The Cinedome 7 West was a truly run-down relic of theatergoing days past. My grandfather and I had seen Walk the Line there a couple months before and one of the sound channels was just out – not an ideal way to experience a musical. But, as with all crummy things from our youths, I loved it.

Along with the Cinedome 8 East, it was the primary theater of my childhood. It had an arcade that I still think about and which makes me sad realizing movie theaters do not really have arcades anymore. I know why, but you know, nostalgia and all. The Cinedomes deserve their own piece someday, but these four movies in eight days were really my last hurrah with the great movie houses of my youth. They were not much, but they were always there when I needed them. Five out of five. I was ready for the show.

My school friend Maddie, with whom I took theater and business math, was interested in the Oscars but even more interested in party planning. It was a passion of hers, and we made a pact while sitting in that business math class that if I ever got to make a movie, she would plan the wrap party. Those are the kind of pacts you make with high-school friends. I wonder if she remembers at all.

Corny as it probably seems, I still have the invite to that party saved, tucked away in its original envelope along with other mementos from my early years of Oscar watching – newspaper clippings of the nominees, computer printouts of my predictions and wishes, etc. All of that is kept inside of the front cover of Jim Plaza and Gail Kinn’s “The Academy Awards: The Complete Unofficial History,” a reference book that served as my film bible in the pre-internet days. I had the post-2004 edition, which included everything up through Million Dollar Baby. Not sure what I am waiting for to buy the revised, updated version. Someday, perhaps.

The party was a delight, featuring friends who cared about the movies and others who cared about being places their friends were. We made predictions, ate food and candy, drank sodas, and generally enjoyed each other’s company. The awards proceeded apace, culminating in Ang Lee winning Best Director for Brokeback Mountain. All was going according to plan. Then, Jack Nicholson read out Crash for Best Picture and all hell broke loose. Thankfully, Twitter was a long way off from existence.

I cheered and proclaimed that the Academy had made the right choice. The same friend who chastened me into seeing all of the nominees before commenting reminded me I had already proclaimed Capote the best of the nominees. I hit reverse and proclaimed Crash the right winner “among the nominees that had a chance,” and so joined that eternal dance of movie punditry. I have not stopped dancing since.

Quick notes: I cannot let this year pass without commenting on the Best Actor win for Philip Seymour Hoffman, whose death still hurts so much. I loved him even then, and he remains one of the best ever to do it. … We all have vivid memories of Three Six Mafia winning Best Original Song for “It’s Hard Out Here for a Pimp” from Hustle and Flow. One of the great weird Oscar moments. … Still remember George Clooney accepting his Best Supporting Actor statue with the immortal, “I guess I’m not winning Director.” A legend.

___
Next time: Off to college for me, and Martin Scorsese finally gets his due with The Departed.

No comments: