Thursday, April 30, 2020

A Personal History of Oscar Watching: 2011

Colin Firth celebrates after winning the Oscar for Best Actor at the 2011 Academy Awards ceremony.


The 83rd Academy Awards

Ceremony date: February 27, 2011
Best Picture: The King’s Speech
Best Director: Tom Hooper for The King’s Speech
Best Actor: Colin Firth for The King’s Speech
Best Actress: Natalie Portman for Black Swan

For whatever reason, it has worked out that I have made a number of major life changes immediately preceding the Oscars, meaning my memory of the ceremony in certain years is inextricably tied to the events going on in my life. I completed my college education in December 2010 and moved to Grass Valley, Calif., to begin my first post-college job on Feb. 14, 2011, 13 days before the 2011 Academy Awards ceremony.

It was just by chance that my first job out of school happened to be a half-hour from where my best friend had grown up and where he lived with his parents after we left school. So, for those first two weeks, before I secured my first apartment, I stayed in the Leydons’ den. At the time, I preferred to fall asleep with a movie playing – a habit that continued until I met my wife, who cannot sleep with noise – so I slept on a pullout sofa and watched an old VHS copy of Back to the Future most nights.

I commuted to my job at the neighboring town’s local newspaper, ate dinner with the Leydons, drank with my friend (Sean, whose writing you may have seen on this site), and generally adjusted to life without the structure of school. My dad lived two hours south of my new home, and the Leydons became like a family away from family. They still are. The last weekend before the quarantine went into full effect, I was in Grass Valley, visiting with Sean, and we had a lovely brunch with his parents. We ate coffee cake and watched Samsara. Remember social gatherings?

The Leydons graciously allowed me to throw a miniature Oscars party in their den. The four of us and a Leydon family friend crammed onto the couch, finding additional seating room on the ottoman, and ate my homemade vegetarian spinach lasagna, a step up from the Stouffer’s I had served the year before. I cannot recall what else I prepared, but I remember being shocked by how much spinach shrinks when you cook it. I remember communal laughs and fun and a lovely night. Social gathering.

That ceremony became infamous for co-hosts Anne Hathaway and James Franco, primarily for Franco being stoned out of his mind throughout the event. They were lambasted as sleepy, boring, and generally unwatchable. My secret: I loved it. I thought they were great, and I thought Franco was hilarious. Who didn’t want more Pineapple Express? I remain in the minority, but my small group had a good time.

This was the year The King’s Speech beat The Social Network. Time has been kind to David Fincher’s Facebook drama, with many recently hailing it as one of the best films, if not the best film, of the 2010s. That is going too far. It is quite good. So is The King’s Speech, a Best Picture winner that film snobs dismissed as stuffy Academy bait. I have rewatched both recently, and in my estimation, they are not as far apart as history would have you believe.

Unfortunately, director Tom Hooper’s subsequent work – the overpraised Les Misérables, the dour The Danish Girl, and the disastrous Cats – have only served further to take the shine off of his award winner. I do not have the time or patience to look into it right now, but it seems likely no other director’s post-Oscar resume is quite this dire. None of that takes away from the fine accomplishment of The King’s Speech, but it is worth remembering the next time you see Hooper’s name on a marquee.

I snuck in a screening of The King’s Speech while I was visiting my dad for Christmas. I was still living in Humboldt in the immediate aftermath of graduation. My little car was bedraggled and did not deserve the beating of a 600-mile roundtrip, so I took a bus down to Tracy. For the trip back, the route was Tracy to San Francisco to Arcata. There was, however, a four-hour layover in The City, and I figured I had enough time to get to the Embarcadero Center Cinema for a screening of the much-hyped Oscar contender. I was right and I was wrong about that timing.

I remain famous among my friends and acquaintances for my lack of navigation skill. In the days before you could download Google Maps to your smartphone, I was all but helpless if placed in even moderately unfamiliar surroundings. Given this, it was foolish of me to believe I could get to the theater from the bus station and get back without getting lost. After five years living in New York City, I feel fairly confident I could do it now, but at the time, there was no way.

The afternoon screening was packed – the limited release would grow into a massive sleeper hit – and the audience seemed genuinely moved and entertained by King George VI’s plight. I had about 45 minutes to make it back to the station to catch my bus. I spent 20 minutes good and lost, wandering around central San Francisco. I did not have a clue where I was or how to get where I was going. I flagged down a cab and did my best to explain what I needed.

San Francisco is, of course, a city of many bus stations, so it was not precisely helpful to say to the driver, “Take me to the bus station.” A familiar calm settled over me. I have been lost many times in much more dire circumstances, and I have learned to roll with the punches. The driver and I worked it out together, and I was at the station with minutes to spare. Another adventure to tell, and another Oscars year in the books.

Quick notes: This was the last year of 10 Best Picture nominees because Academy members complained they could not come up with 10 worthy nominees. That is obviously ludicrous, but the next year, the system we have now would be put into place. … The best of the 10 nominees in my estimation was Danny Boyle’s 127 Hours, and the lineup was not particularly strong in a somewhat down year for film. … That said, I find it delightfully subversive that Banksy’s Exit Through the Gift Shop and Yorgos Lanthimos’ Dogtooth found their way into the room. … This was the first year I was able to catch the short films in a theater. They were lovely, but since we are running long here, I will save that story for another time.

___
Next time: The biggest Oscars party I have thrown and a rather mediocre year for nominees.

No comments: